Reflections on Motherhood
I have never understood fully what my mom sacrificed to bring me out into the world until I became pregnant. She had a difficult pregnancy. For the first trimester, she threw out everything she ate, but she kept eating because it was the only way I'd survive. She took care of herself because she wanted me to be healthy. She did everything she was supposed to do, even gave up a thriving career when I was born just so she can take care of me personally. You never really know until you experience all these yourself.
Having a baby is a total lifestyle change. My body has been changing with it too. My heaviest was at 100lbs, and I have had a hard time even attaining that weight. Now I'm up to 103 lbs. My waistline was 26 pre-pregnancy, while it's 32 now - 2 more inches and I'll have the same waistline as hubz.
In Manila, I noticed that I was having a hard time fitting into my pants. I even bought a couple of jeans at size 28. I blamed eating too much as the source of my growing tummy. It was only when I came back that I realized I had a baby growing inside of me. No wonder I'm always hungry, and I eat as if it was my last meal! Hubz would tease me that I have a big tummy - now he takes pride seeing it grow!
I had my very first ultrasound last Friday and it was an amazing experience. I saw our baby's heartbeat. It was like a butterfly fluffing its wings. I also saw the baby move for the first time, as if saying "hey mommy, look what I can do". I couldn't help but cry. The feeling was so overwhelming. I am truly in awe of God's goodness. How can one egg and a sperm create a life? Only through God's infinite power.... Too bad hubz isn't here to share this experience with me.
Sure I feel queasy, but I feel fortunate that I haven't really thrown what I eat out of my system. I used to hate milk because it upsets my stomach but I now drink a couple of glasses a day, plus orange juice with calcium, to make sure I have enough vitamins for our baby's development. I get frequent migraines now but that doesn't bother me. I love being pregnant. Here's this little creature whose very existence depended on me. He trusts me completely - without question.
Now I know that when you're a mom, you'd do anything and everything for your child. In as much as my mom has taken good care of me while I was growing up, I hope to do the same, if not better, for my own child.
I loved being pregnant too. It was the best experience ever! I didn't have morning sicknes but my sense of smell was so heightened that everything made me gag. But I didn't mind any of that either. I ate a lot too prior to finding out we were already expecting. In Vegas, I ate more than Nelson at the buffets...now you know that's something else :). Even he said I ate like I'm never going to eat again :)! The minute we found out we were pregnant, I stopped my daily Starbucks and Coke intake. It took a lot but anything for the baby. You'll do great and you'll be fine! I can't wait to see the baby's first pictures!
ReplyDeleteaaaaw...i can't wait to be a mom again. my daughter is turning 12 in October and I can barely remember the joys of pregnancy albeit the weight gain :)
ReplyDelete