Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I had my citizenship oath-taking at Nob Hill Masonic Center in San Francisco yesterday. Who would’ve thought I’d get there?

Coincidentally, Nov. 13th was my 9th year here in the US. I first stepped foot in the land of the free on Nov. 13, 1997. I was a scared-out-of-my wits 24 year old then. People at work didn’t take me seriously because according to them, I looked like a kid. I had to earn their respect. They gave me the toughest and most complicated projects. I would sometimes spend the night at work, not having a car during my first year, and overly dependent on public transportation. I slept on sleeping bags because I had to save my money for a car downpayment. I wasn’t paid overtime even when I work 60-75 hours a week. I was paid measly by the agency that hired me. After 2 years of slaving for them, I finally accepted the client’s offer to convert me into a regular employee. I had to make sure I am over the 2 year period, or I’d pay $12K to the agency that milked me!

I decided to leave for the US because opportunities in the Philippines were limited. I was overlooked for a promotion because I did not graduate from UP, Ateneo, DLSU, nor from any of those “exclusive” A-list schools. Whenever I’d apply for jobs, I would always get asked whether I came from a reputable university. I swear I’d see smirks whenever I’d mention “Adamson University” – my alma mater. I may not have come from those A-list schools but I’m just as smart (if not better than most of their alumni). The Philippines’ corporate ladder is not designed for someone like me.

Looking back, I may have had lots of struggles here in America but my adopted country has been good to me all these years. It gave me a chance I would never have gotten in the Philippines. I was never discriminated because of my education. I am getting the comfortable life I deserve. I am able to help my family, and I can ensure that my son will have better opportunities. He will be spared of the obstacles I had to go through.

In yesterday’s ceremony, the speaker said “you’ve set your own destinies, you overcame your own obstacles”. With God’s help and constant guidance, I have truly reached my goal. I am part of the 1,327 new citizens from 95 countries that took the oath yesterday.

Who would’ve thought that this poor girl from the Philippines would get to where I am now? Not in my wildest dream!

17 comments:

  1. congratulations mickee! i'm wishing for that day to come too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickeeee! Hurrah! Well deserved sis! Thanks for sharing your struggles and obstacles. PS. Kail is really one cute bub!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!
    You of all people deserve all of the blessings. God is really good.
    Congrats again!
    By the way, we'll be there Wed night before Thanksgiving - until after lunch on Thurs. I'll see if we can stop by - I want to see your little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats sis! sorry now lng ako nagka pc delayed na ata ito :P Anyway, you deserve all the success girl! I can see my ate in you, she's like you, she really sacrificed a lot just to have a good life there in the US! People like you and my sis deserves all the happiness in the world for all the hardwork in achieving your dreams! hugs to you sis! will this means lapit na sumunod si Clifford?:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations mickee! i'm so happy for you. Kaunting tiis na lang makakasama mo na si Hubby mo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Mickee! You truly deserve it. More blessings to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SIS!!!!! SUPER CONGRATULATIONS!!! all your sacrifices paid off =P good things happen to people who wait talaga and those with a nice heart =) am sooo very proud of you!!! see you soon muah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello sistah -- congrats to you mah dear....grabe, dami nyong naging citizens ah! iba talaga ang attraction ng america ano. when i took my oath of citizenship eh 15 lang ata kami! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi mickee. congratulations! am so happy for you. all the hardships you went through have made you a stronger person and for that. you are blessed and you deserve all the happiness in life. here's praying your family will be united soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi mommy mickee, i second everything that was said. you deserve all the blessings that you have right now because you are such a good person. congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi sis mickee! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mickee, congrats sis..alam mo, mabilis na ang pag petition pag citizen kaya in no time, kasama mo na si papa. i am really soo happy for you.
    just hang in there sis. kayang kaya mo lahat yan with god's help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. MICKEE! I'm so so happy for you! Congratulations. Finally, it's within your hands. You truly deserve it my friend! I'm so jumping for joy for you cause that means in no time, your family will be complete there na...lapit nang dumating dyan si Clifford. Pero uwi muna kayo dito right? Tuloy ba? Hope we can have lunch man lang or dinner with you guys. Text mo ako pag dito na kayo ha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. am so happy for you mickee. in God's time, you, Cliff and Kail will enjoy a great thanksgiving dinner next year.

    God bless.

    -ate June

    ReplyDelete
  15. mickee, congratulations!! you're very intelligent, decent, compassionate and persevering. i'm so glad you were given a chance there. it's the phillipines' loss you had to leave because you were not given an opportunity. people here didn't know what gem was in their midst. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ph Mickee, congrats! We're migratng to the states soon...now I'm really scared! Why did it take 9 years for you to get youe citizenship? My hana is a green card holder and siad that it will only take 2-5 years before he's eligible for citizenship.

    ReplyDelete