Thursday, March 9, 2006

Mommy: Q & A

Sorry Day, for not responding on your tag right away.

How did you feel during those first few days after the birth?
==> I had a C-section so it was really hard for me to move around. But, I couldn't keep lying down because I had a baby to take care of. Also, I find myself crying for no apparent reason. Sometimes, when my baby cries, I am also in tears.

How were you emotionally?
==> Like I said, I just cry for no apparent reason. I am emotional whenever I see (on TV) children being abused - those scouring for food to eat in the garbage. Being a mom truly makes you susceptible to all the plights of children in the world!

Is there anything you wish people had told you about the postpartum period?
==> I wish they told me that there will be times when my patience will be tested, especially when the baby cries all night.

How long do you plan to breastfeed?
==> Up to 3 months, hopefully. He's mixed fed right now. I had to supplement with formula because my breastmilk isn't sufficient.

Do you have any advice for getting through those first weeks of breastfeeding?
==> I was fortunate because Kail latched on perfectly since Day 1. My only problem was my milk supply. I'd advise everyone to persevere and keep at it no matter how frustrating it can be. The rewards are enormous, and it's for the baby's welfare. Drink lots of fluids, especially water.

Was there any stress between you and your husband over the baby?
==> On times when I'm sleep deprived and cradling a crying baby in my arms, I really detest him not being here. There were also nights when I had to hang up on him due to frustration. I know it's not his fault but I just can't help it.

Let's talk about your body, Did things get totally rearranged?
==> Not really - I just have some more weight to lose.

Care to share how much you weighed before and how much now?
==> I was 96 lbs pre-pregnancy, 133 lbs on the day prior to giving birth, and 110 lbs now.

What advice-or comfort-can you offer other new moms about their weight ?
==> It took us 9 months to beef up so don't expect to lose all those weight overnight.

How important is it for you to have a work identity?
==> More than work identity, I need to keep my job so my baby and I would survive. I am the breadwinner (at least until my husband comes here) so I have no choice but to keep working. Much as I'd like to be a SAHM someday, I also want to work (even part time) to earn money. Aside from my son, my family in the Philippines (mom, brother, grandma) are also my dependents.

Was your baby a lot of fun right from the start?
==> Oh no - he cried a lot!

What's your baby like now?
==> He now smiles a lot, coos, and so much fun!

It would be nice to hear from other mom's too, so if your not busy with your little one, care to share - Jody, April, Litcoo, Alpha, Olive, Leirs, Meeya, Marie, Josephine.

1 comment:

  1. hey Mickee! grabe you gave birth na pala? I've been away for soooo long. congratulations by the way :)

    ReplyDelete