Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Royal Wedding

I was almost 8 years old in 1981 when I first witnessed a royal wedding on TV.  I didn’t know who it was, I just know that it was a big deal with everyone around me.  My aunts were glued to the TV, and I saw this beautiful woman walking down the aisle wearing a gorgeous white dress with a very long train.  I asked my aunt who it was and she answered “she’s Princess Diana – she’s going to marry Prince Charles!”  That definitely piqued my interest because up until that time, I’ve only read about Princes and Princesses on fairy tale books.  I have never seen them in real life.  It was then that my imagination came to life.  I’ve dreamt about being a Princess, even practiced the walk and the wave when nobody else is looking. Of course, real life kicked in for Prince Charles and Princess Diana and they divorced in 1996.


 Last Friday, April 29, I witnessed another royal union.  This time, I am a lot more aware of what was going on around me.  Prince William (Prince Charles and Princess Diana’s eldest son) married a commoner, Kate Middleton.  The world watched their fairly tale unfold.  Despite the number of devastating events surrounding the news lately, their wedding was definitely a feel-good event.  I can’t help but smile whenever I see them kiss (and mind you, I’ve watched that a lot of times already).  Their look speak of love.  I am praying that theirs is a happily ever after one.



No comments:

Post a Comment